Ask Ty logo

Best Response

How do I file my FAFSA?

Filing your FAFSA

Each academic year you will need to file a new FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is available beginning January 1 each year for the following academic year, which at Lane begins with Summer term. 

File your FAFSA online at the Department of Education's website, If you do not have internet access at home, you may use the computers at Lane, in the lobby of Building 1, or other student computer areas on campus

First, you will need to set up your FSA ID (your "online signature" for all Department of Education documents).  If you are under the age of 24, you will also need to have your parent get an FSA ID, and fill out the parents section of the FAFSA.

What if I don't live or receive support from my parents?  Even students who no longer receive financial support from parents, if they are under age 24, usually must include parent information as "dependent" students. 

You will receive a message from the Department of Education acknowledging receipt of your FAFSA, called a SAR (Student Aid Report).
This message can be confusing, because it is a very general autoresponder message. Be sure you look in your myLane account regularly to see if Lane has received your FAFSA and begun the award process!

Important: The SAR gives an estimate, but this is NOT your award letter! Lane Community College MUST have your Social Security Number on file in order to receive your FAFSA. Lane Community College will contact you with a letter mailed to the address you have on file, and a list of "Student Requirements" will be in the "myFinances" section of myLane


Are you satisfied with your answer?

Still need help? E-mail us at the link below. E-mails are usually answered within 2-3 business days.
powered by IntelliResponse