Ask Ty logo

Best Response

What grants are available?

Available Grants

Grants are financial aid money that you don't have to pay back. It is offered to you if you demonstrate sufficient "need" based on standards of income and other resources considered available to you. 

Grants that are available at Lane are:

  • Pell Grant - The largest federal grant, offered throughout the year. The maximum Pell Grant each term in the 2012-13 year is $1850, which is enough to cover the costs of many programs' tuition, fees, and books if you qualify for the whole thing. This grant is prorated if you attend 3/4-time, half-time, or less than half-time. 
  • Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG) - Offered to Oregon residents with high need if you attend at least half-time.  This grant has been offered only to early applicants (typically before January 21) in the past few years.  You do not need to do anything special to apply for this grant, as Lane will offer you this grant as part of your regular financial aid package if you qualify. Just be sure to complete your FAFSA early each year. This grant is prorated to half the offered amount if you attend anything less than full-time (12 credits).  It cannot pay if you attend less than half-time.
  • Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) - A very small federal grant offered only to the earliest applicants, you must complete your FAFSA before February 15th for the following academic year to qualify. This grant is available at a threshold of half-time enrollment and does not change amounts between full and half-time. 
  • Federal Work Study (FWS) - A job on campus (and sometimes off-campus) that is paid by the Department of Education through the college payroll. To qualify for work study, you must submit your FAFSA often well before February 15th, and have the highest calculated need. There are almost always more students who want this grant than there is money to fund it.
  • Learn and Earn - A Lane financed work program for students with high need who do not qualify for Federal Work Study. Apply for this through the Career and Employment Services office.

Are you satisfied with your answer?

Still need help? E-mail us at the link below. E-mails are usually answered within 2-3 business days.
powered by IntelliResponse